DigiCert Code Signing
To avoid malware, software developers use code signing certificates to digitally sign apps, drivers, and software programs. This makes it so end users can verify that the code has not been compromised by a third party.
Code signing certificates use the same technology that an SSL/TLS certificate uses to authenticate the identity of a website. (Note: code signing certificates do not encrypt files or data). A code signing certificate uses a private/public key pair to digitally sign software, proving to the end user that the code is legitimate and can be trusted. DigiCert Code Signing Certificate supports Microsoft Authenticode, Office VBA, Java, Adobe AIR, Apple's Mac OS, and Mozilla objects.
Key Features and Benefits of DigiCert Code Signing Certificate:
- Protect your customers - Code Signing Certificates allow your customers to verify that the code is authentic and has not been tampered with. DigiCert code signing protects your software against theft and malware.
- Efficient Monitoring and Enforcement - When a piece of code is digitally signed, you can easily detect modified files. Additionally, code signed with a DigiCert timestamp tells a user that the code was signed with a valid certificate even after the actual code signing certificate expires.
- Meet Partner Requirements - Your partners and the channels that distribute your software expect you to safeguard their valuable customers' data. Signing software shows commitment to their safety and is often a contractual requirement.
- Maintain Brand Reputation - Your customers expect a smooth and professional installation process when they download your software. Digitally signed programs that avoid warning messages help keep your users safe and protects your brand.
- Increased User Adoption - Downloading software usually requires caution, however, signing code helps avoid warning messages from browsers and builds trust in you as a publisher; this results in an increased adoption rate.
- Simplified Certificate Installation - Using the free DigiCert® Certificate Utility for Windows you can turn the common obstacles of SSL CSR creation and SSL certificate installation into smoother and easier processes.
- Award-Winning Customer Service - DigiCert has the best technical support team in the business, which means no long phone queues or wait times. Their experts are available 24/7 to answer any of your questions.
- Supports All Major Platforms - DigiCert Code Signing Certificates let you to sign any code you want no matter what platform you’re using, including Microsoft Authenticode and Kernel Mode, Java files and applets, Apple applications, and Adobe AIR files.
- Trusted Certificate Authority - For over a decade, DigiCert has been providing trusted SSL certificates, code signing certificates, and related SSL management tools to tens of thousands of the largest brands in the world.
Code Signing for Microsoft® Authenticode®
- Platform includes digitally signed 32- and 64-bit user-mode files such as .exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi and .xap files.
- Authorizes digitally signed code for Microsoft® Office 2000, Microsoft VBA, Netscape Object Signing, and Marimba Channel Signing.
Code Signing Certificates for Java®
- Platform includes digitally signed .jar files and Java applications for the desktop and the latest mobile devices.
- 100% Authorized and Recognized by Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
Code Signing Certificates for Microsoft® Office and VBA
- Platform Includes digitally signed Microsoft Office .doc, .xls, and .ppt files, which includes VBA objects, scripts and macros.
- Authorized for third-party applications using VBA and for Microsoft Office.
Code Signing Certificates for Apple Mac
- Platform includes digitally signed Apple desktop applications for multiple device platforms such as iphone, iPod, and iPad Applications.